What We Offer
The Social Committee's role in the church is to provide opportuntities for parishioners and the community to mingle and get to know each other, build comradery, and have fun at church sponsored events outside normal Mass hours when the congregation regularly joins together. Events may or may not have a religious theme or religious holiday connection. Some examples of current social committee activities include:
- Winter Dance - Usually held the last weekend before Lent. This dance has typically has a DJ (hired or parishioner volunteer) with a wide variety of music for all ages. In 2011 we had a Chili Cook-off with cash prizes the same evening just before the dance.
- Ice Cream Social - Usually held in mid July after the 11:00 Mass. Features homemade ice cream made by the committee members with toppings and other desserts. Games are also made available such as Cornhole, Horseshoes, Ladder Ball, etc.
- 4th of July Fireworks Cookout - Held the evening when Johnstown holds their fireworks display. Potluck dinner held in the pavilion and then watch the fireworks together at dusk.
- Square and Round Dance - Held on a Saturday evening in mid August between the Hartford Fair ending and when school starts. Great live band with lots of various music. Has recently been held the same evening as and in conjunction with the Church of Ascension Chicken Barbeque.
- Labor Day Weekend Yard Sale - Held Friday and Saturday of Labor Day weekend in the church. Our biggest fundraiser. All items to be sold are donated by parishoners.
- Hayride and Weiner Roast - Usually held the 2nd Sunday evening in October. Includes a bonfire for roasting hotdogs and marshmallows, hayride on the church grounds, bobbing for apples, and some other games.
- Meat Raffle - Tickets sold in the month of November with the drawing in early Decmber and meat delivered to winners mid December. Prizes have been 1/2 farm fresh hog cut, wrapped, and frozen; whole hams; and whole turkeys.
- Euchre - Held in the church on the 2nd and 4th Sunday evenings from 6-8 p.m. October through April. Played in a progressive manner with several tables of 4 players where the winners move to the next table and get new partners. Prizes are awarded, snacks are provided. Very minimal charge to help cover prizes and snacks. If you have never played or if you are just learning to play this game (or if you are a seasoned veteran), you are welcome and encouraged to attend. We will teach you how to play. You do not need to bring a partner - one will be provided for you. We really have a lot of fun!
With all of our events, feel free to bring along a friend, and remember that they do not have to be Catholic to join us - all are welcome. We always need additional committee members. If you would like to become a member, please contact Rodney Tornes at 740-924-9242 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Normal committee meetings are held the first Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m. Any help or ideas for new or improved events are always appreciated.